||Monday 15th April 2019
(ROUGOL meets on the third monday of each month)
||How to Widen Interest in RISC OS
||7:45pm (although lots of ROUGOL members are usually there - eating curry - from about 6pm!)
||Upstairs in the restaurant at The Blue Eyed Maid public house, 173 Borough High St, SE1 1HR.
This month Bernard Boase will be facilitating a discussion about how best to widen
people's knowledge and interest of RISC OS.
RISC OS needs more take-up -> RISC OS needs more publicity -> RISC OS needs convincing
Use Cases which need then to be described in print, web and video.
Use Cases for RISC OS could depend upon:
- The Desktop for its ergonomic applications
- The RPi's GPIO for monitoring and control (low level access from RO)
- The powerful system-wide vector graphics it provides
- The educational merit of creating games in BASIC (e.g. with AMCOG kit)
- The Retro scene (BBC Micro and Archimedes)
- The fact that its code is now open source (and interest in ARM code?)
- The marketing led by RISC OS Developments Ltd ('Marketing by P')
- The knowledge of special uses known only to suppliers
Publicity could be based upon or make use of:
- RISC OS publications (Archive, DragNDrop, WROCC Newsletter)
- The MagPi (Editor Lucy Hattersley has said she's a 'big fan' of RISC OS and would like to print more, but she would need input).
- Social media
- Other web sites/forums, not normally RISC OS focussed
- Suppliers' web sites
- !Store and !PackMan
It has no modern browser, patchy video, security that relies on obscurity,
no multi-core support, no likelihood of 64-bit support, only Python 2.7.2,
insufficient libraries to compete with Raspbian, etc. etc.
The usual arrangements
Admittance is free and everyone is welcome.
All meetings benefit from video projection, so everyone should have a great view.
The Blue Eyed Maid is easily accessible by public transport from in and
around London and the south east, and serves a wide range of hot and cold food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
To be informed about future meetings, please join the mailing list.
Everyone on the mailing list will be kept informed of these and other ROUGOL initiatives.
Information about the Blue Eyed Maid
Read about previous ROUGOL meetings
London travel information
Maps and stuff
ROUGOL organise the RISC OS London Show